( PR4US.com | Press Release | 2021-07-15 12:37:19 )
On June 9, 2021, Ukraine announced a change in the law to prohibit the distribution of some types of plastic bag for retail and catering use.
Law No. 1489-IX of June 1, 2021, bans the use of three types of plastic bag:
• ‘Lightweight plastic bags’ – wall thickness of 15 to 50 micrometers (microns)
• ‘Very lightweight plastic bags’ – wall thickness of less than 15 micrometers (microns)
• ‘Oxo-degradable plastic bags’ – consists of polyethylene and oxo-degradable additives
Exemptions to the rule include:
• Biodegradable plastic bags – must meet harmonized European standards and be individually marked
• ‘Very lightweight plastic bags’ – up to 225 mm wide (without side folds), up to 345 mm deep (with side folds), up to 450 mm long (with handles) for packing and/or transportation of fresh fish, meat and related products, bulk products and ice as primary packaging (valid until January 1, 2023)
Stakeholders should be aware of the following dates:
• June 10, 2021 – entry into force
• March 10, 2022 – prohibition on the three types of plastic bag comes into effect with penalties for violating the law
SGS Consumer Product Services
SGS provides news about the development of regulations affecting consumer products as a complimentary service. With a global network of laboratories, SGS provides a wide range of services including physical/mechanical testing, analytical testing and consultancy work for technical and non-technical parameters applicable to a comprehensive range of consumer products. Learn more about SGS’s Consumer Product Services. [www.sgs.com/en/consumer-goods-retail]
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full Ukraine Prohibits Plastic Bags SafeGuardS. [https://www.sgs.com/en/news/2021/07/safeguards-08721-ukraine-prohibits-plastic-bags].
Subscribe here, www.sgs.com/subscribesg, to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Dr HingWo Tsang
Global Information and Innovation Manager
Tel: (+852) 2774 7420
We are SGS – the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. Our 89,000 employees operate a network of 2,600 offices and laboratories, working together to enable a better, safer and more interconnected world