( PR4US.com | Press Release | 2021-07-07 13:33:14 )
South Korea is holding a consultation over proposed changes to its food contact material standards. Comments will be accepted until July 27, 2021.
Proposed changes include:
• Polyketones added as a new material under synthetic resins:
1. Lead: no more than 1.0 mg/L
2. Potassium permanganate consumption: no more than 10.0 mg/L
3. Overall migration: no more than 30 mg/L
• Nine categories created for synthetic resins with similar structures:
1. Olefins with six materials
2. Esters (twelve), with butylenesuccinate copolymer (PBS) and butylenesuccinate-adipate copolymer (PBSA) as individual entries
3. Styrenics (five)
4. Amines (three)
5. Acrylics (three)
6. Aldehydes (four)
7. Ethers (five)
8. Vinyl chlorides (two)
9. Others (three – fluorocarbons, epoxies and polyketones)
• Specifications are provided for each synthetic resin, rubber and regenerated cellulose, paper, metals/alloys, wood and starch
• Safety requirements are added for active and intelligent substances in containers/packaging
• Standards are improved for recycled polyethylene terephthalates (PET)
• Details are improved for testing coloring agents and sulfur dioxide
There are also general updates to improve clarity.
Under South Korea’s Food Sanitation Act, toxic and harmful chemicals are prohibited in food contact items. These standards and specifications are established by the Ministry of Food and Drug Safety.
Once adopted, the effective dates are:
• Date of notification
• January 21, 2022 – recognized raw materials (flakes, etc.) used during the recycling process (if recycled synthetic resins made of physically regenerated PET materials that meet the criteria for recycled synthetic resins in utensils, containers and packaging)
If accepted, these amendments will impact manufacturers, importers and exporters of food contact utensils, containers and packaging.
SGS Food Contact Materials Services
SGS’s technical experts have extensive experience of testing materials and articles in contact with food. They can ensure that your products meet the appropriate regulations for food contact materials and pave the way for compliance. SGS offers the full range of testing, including migration tests, along with expert advice on emerging regulations, compliance issues and documentation review. After all, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Learn more about SGS’s Food Contact Materials Services. [http://www.sgs.com/fcm]
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full South Korea Proposes to Amend Food Contact Material Standards [https://www.sgs.com/en/news/2021/06/safeguards-08621-south-korea-proposes-to-amend-food-contact-material-standards]
Subscribe here, www.sgs.com/subscribesg, to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Dr. HingWo Tsang
Global Information and Innovation Manager
Tel: (+852) 2774 7420
We are SGS – the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. Our 89,000 employees operate a network of 2,600 offices and laboratories, working together to enable a better, safer and more interconnected world.