( PR4US.com | Press Release | 2021-06-21 18:19:49 )
During the 80's and early 90's audio analogue tape was one of the main storage mediums with a capacity of 600 Kb stored as actual sound. It wasn't very reliable to begin with, since tapes and tape recorders varied greatly in quality and compatibility.
If not stored properly, tapes have a tendency to degrade over time, especially if left near strong magnetic/electric fields (like cathode monitors/TVs, speakers, children, power sources, power plants, EMP bombs, any kind of star, ...).
Sometimes, some of the data can still be recovered even after decades of mistreatment.
Tape Recovery Simulator 96K builds new game mechanics around old data recovery tricks. Caffeine Withdrawal Games’ philosophy is “games you haven’t played before” and TRS 96K is the perfect example of it.
Early access release is scheduled for this fall (release dates are to be taken with a grain of salt, it might take a few more quarters than expected). Initially it will only be available for PC. Mac and *nix are also achievable with the right user pressure.
- enjoy using a real simulated tape player with all the proper buttons (play, stop, ff, rew) + a few new ones.
- audio tapes holding data having multiple degrees of corruption.
- rediscover the lost art of loading data off tapes:
- tweak sound (volume, pitch, tape speed, revert, ...) to appease the 8bit loading routine that is extremely unforgiving to data errors
- learn and use old data recovery tricks (header swap, audio channel swap, leader short circuit, ...)
- play with data (descramble, decrypt, decode, search, piece together, ...)
- work and suffer for a pittance as an EES employee with an absurd boss and (semi-)impossible tasks.
- discover and assemble stories, fake art, real art, conspiracy theories. Everything is sprinkled with lots of plain old insanity fueled by EES' boss.
- 8bit applications and minigames (BASIC / machine code) waiting to be recovered, repaired, executed, re-executed and re-re-executed.
- the 8bit look, feel and simplicity we all crave for.
- turbo tape loading speed speed of up to 1.6 kb/s
- mock advertising
- no cutscenes (unskippable or otherwise)
- true tried and tested eye care advice for the player.