( PR4US.com | Press Release | 2020-07-24 14:39:35 )
The European Chemical Agency (ECHA) has added four new substances of very high concern (SVHC) to the Candidate List under REACH.
The four new SVHCs are:
• Dibutylbis(pentane-2,4-dionato-O,O')tin – an organotin compound has similar properties and/or uses to SVHC candidate dibutyltin dichloride
• Butyl 4-hydroxybenzoate (Butylparaben)
With these four substances, the Candidate List now contains 209 entries.
The four substances have a variety of uses, including:
1. Monomer in polymerization reactions
2. In paints, lacquers, varnishes, surface treatment, and cleaning/washing agents
1. Component in the manufacture of pharmaceuticals, photographic and photothermographic chemicals, dyes and pigments, agricultural chemicals and rubber
2. Polymerization crosslinking accelerator and hardener for epoxy resin systems
3. Catalyst for producing epoxy resin pastes, acrylic rubber-fluororubber laminates, films, adhesives, textile finishes and epoxy silane coatings
4. Dyeing auxiliary for acrylic fibers and plastic foams
• Dibutylbis(pentane-2,4-dionato-O,O')tin – as a catalyst and stabilizer in adhesives, sealants, coatings and paints, thinners, paint removes, paper and board treatment products, dyes, finishing and impregnation products including bleaches and other processing aids, polymer preparations in production of resins and rubber, and textile dyes
• Butyl 4-hydroxybenzoate (Butylparaben) – as a preservative in cosmetics, personal care products and pharmaceuticals
1-vinylimidazole, 2-methylimidazole, and Dibutylbis(pentane-2,4-dionato-O,O')tin are all classified as having adverse effects on sexual function and fertility or on development (reproductive toxicant category 1B). Butyl 4-hydroxybenzoate (Butylparaben) is categorized as being endocrine disrupting.
Under Article 33 of REACH, manufacturers and importers operating within the European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) must provide information to allow the safe use of a product that contains concentrations of an SVHC in excess of 0.1% (w/w). This must be supplied to recipients upon supply and consumers within 45 days of a request. If an article contains an SVHC with a concentration above 0.1%, and with a quantity over one metric tonne per year, the manufacturer or importer must notify the ECHA under Article 7 of REACH.
Notification of SVHCs within an article must be made within six months of their inclusion on the Candidate List. These four substances were added on June 25, 2020, and so the deadline for notification is January 25, 2021.
SGS REACH Services
SGS keeps interested parties informed about developments and changes to REACH regulations. Their expertise, combined with consultancy services and experience in consumer product supply chains, provides a central point of contact for global solutions. Learn more about SGS’s REACH Services. [www.sgs.com/reach]
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full EU – SVHC Candidate List Updated to Contain 209 Entries SafeGuardS. [www.sgs.com/en/news/2020/06/safeguards-09720-eu-svhc-candidate-list-updated-to-contain-209-entries]
Subscribe here, www.sgs.com/subscribesg, to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Assistant R&D Manager
Tel: +852 2204 8339
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 94,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.