( PR4US.com | Press Release | 2020-06-30 15:40:09 )
The US state of New York has amended its Lead-Containing Jewelry Law (A6041/S4046), which covers jewelry for children aged under twelve years.
Originally enacted in December 2019, the Lead-Containing Jewelry Law was amended in April 2020 following the signing of A8978 by the state’s governor. The changes include:
• The revision of the threshold of ‘less than 600 ppm lead content’ to ‘less than 100 ppm lead content’ as part of the criteria for a warning statement
• Revising the language for the warning statement
• Deleting requirements for assessment of penalties by the Commissioner
The requirements for the law, following the amendment are:
• Paints or similar surface coatings: no greater than 40 ppm otherwise warning statement if exceeds 40 ppm but less than or equal to 90 ppm
• Substrates: no greater than 40 ppm otherwise warning statement if exceeds 40 ppm but less than 100 ppm
The warning statement must include at least:
‘WARNING: CONTAINS LEAD. MAY BE HARMFUL IF EATEN OR CHEWED’
Jewelry is defined as an ornament worn by a person and includes:
1. Ankle bracelet, arm cuff, bracelet, brooch, chain, crown, cuff link, hair accessory, earring, necklace, decorative pin, ring, body piercing jewelry, jewelry placed in the mouth for display or ornament
2. Any charm, bead, chain, link, pendant, or other component in point 1 above
3. A charm, bead, chain, link, pendant, or other attachment to shoes or clothing that can be removed and may be used as a component of an ornament in point 1 above
4. A watch in which a timepiece is a component of an ornament in point 1 above, excluding the timepiece itself if the timepiece can be removed from the ornament
Despite the changes, the effective date for the introduction of the warning statement remains unchanged – January 1, 2021.
SGS Jewelry Services
SGS provides news about the development of regulations affecting consumer products as a complimentary service. With a global network of laboratories, SGS provides a wide range of services including physical/mechanical testing, analytical testing and consultancy work for technical and non-technical parameters applicable to a comprehensive range of consumer products. Learn more about SGS’s Jewelry Services. [www.sgs.com/en/consumer-goods-retail/softlines-and-accessories/jewelry]
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full New York State Amends Lead-containing Jewelry Law SafeGuardS. [www.sgs.com/en/news/2020/06/safeguards-08520-new-york-state-amends-leadcontaining-jewelry-law]
Subscribe here, www.sgs.com/subscribesg, to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Global Information and Innovation Manager
Tel:(+852) 2774 7420
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 94,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.