( PR4US.com | Press Release | 2020-06-23 17:34:09 )
The Business Institutional Furniture Manufacturers Association (BIFMA) has delayed the launch of its voluntary Compliant Program.
BIFMA’s Compliant Program focuses on increasing consistency and the visibility of products that conform to BIFMA standards. It is open to both BIFMA members and non-members, with BIFMA members receiving a discount.
The program covers nine mechanical standards that focus on safety and durability and includes the following provisions:
• Testing must be conducted in an ISO 17025 accredited test laboratory with the relevant BIFMA standard(s) in their Scope of Accreditation. The laboratory may be a first-party (in-house) or third-party (independent service provider)
• Test reports will be subject to random audits by BIFMA
• The formal agreement with BIFMA to participate must be signed by a company executive
• Conforming products will be included on the aggregated product registry in a new website (by manufacturer)
• Participating manufacturers may use a trademarked “BIFMA Compliant” mark for their products and marketing materials
BIFMA’s Board of Directors, along with its engineering and marketing committees, have decided to delay the launch in response to the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. It is expected that they will begin executing contractual agreements in November 2020 and begin loading product information to the registry from December 1, 2020. It is anticipated the registry will go live on March 1, 2021.
SGS Furniture Services
SGS helps you deliver well-designed, functional, durable and safe products to your customers. We have the furniture industry, regulatory and technical expertise to check your products’ compliance against relevant standards and/or your own specifications. Learn more about SGS’s Furniture Services: [www.sgs.com/furniture]
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full BIFMA Provides Update on Compliant Program SafeGuardS. [www.sgs.com/en/news/2020/06/safeguards-08220-bifma-provides-update-on-compliant-program]
Subscribe here, www.sgs.com/subscribesg, to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Senior Technical Manager - Hardlines
Tel: +1 973 461 1505
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 94,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.