( PR4US.com | Press Release | 2019-11-26 11:01:05 )
On September 30, 2019, French authorities published general Decree 2019-1007 to harmonize the regulatory requirements applicable to certain non-food products.
Among the provisions within Decree 2019-1007, Article 7 modifies Decree 2000-164, which covers the requirements relating to filled bedding items such as quilts, cushions, pillows, bolsters, and padded blankets. The requirements related to:
• Essential hygiene requirements relating to the filling (down and/or feather)
• Product marking
The primary change brought in by Decree 2019-1007 relates to marking, with such articles no longer required to carry the statement - "Conforme aux exigences du décret no 2000-164 du 23 février 2000".
Stakeholders should note, however, articles within the scope of Decree 2000-164 must still meet these requirements:
• Ignitability – assessment in relation to flammability of bedding items from a cigarette
• For down and/or feather filling – determination of the oxygen index number, turbidity of an aqueous extract, and, if needed, the microbiological state
• Labeling of name or trademark of the entity responsible for placing the articles in the market
• Recommended care instructions to enable the article to keep its original properties
Assessment of ignitability and hygiene requirements can be achieved through assessment against applicable standards – published in the French Official Journal (NF EN ISO 12952-1 for ignitability, NF EN 1162, NF EN 1164, NF EN 12935 for down and feather hygiene).
If these standards are not applicable, the product must carry a certificate of compliance issued pursuant to the required examination by either a French or European organization, or an organization from another country that is part of the Agreement on the European Economic Area (the EEA Agreement), or Turkey. This organization must have accreditation for the test methods specified in Decree 2000-164.
Stakeholders should remember, the company responsible for placing an article onto the market may be prosecuted and fined if both the following required elements cannot be provided:
• Description of the product including components and their characteristics
• Test reports using standards giving presumption of conformity or a certificate of compliance issued by an accredited third party
In addition to filled bedding items, Decree 2019-1007 covers a number of other consumer products, including:
• Childcare articles
• Portable heating appliances using liquid fuel
• Playground equipment
• Bunk beds
• Ladders, step ladders and step stools
• Folding seats referred to as deck chairs
• Bedding items
• Grinding and cutting disks
• Barbecues using solid fuel
• Electronic and chemical breathalysers
It harmonizes the safety requirements covering these products in relation to design, testing, technical files and markings, when these provisions are linked to identified safety issues.
Decree 2019-1007 came into effect on October 1, 2019, one day after it was published. It allows for products that conformed to the provisions of previous decrees to remain on sale until October 1, 2020, and previous inventory can remain on sale until they are sold out.
SGS Softlines Services
SGS has a worldwide network of over 40 state-of-the-art laboratories specializing in testing of apparel, footwear and home textiles. Their committed team is drawn from multi-disciplinary backgrounds, allowing them to carry out a comprehensive range of physical, chemical and functional testing services for components, materials and finished products. SGS helps companies ensure quality, performance and compliance with international, industrial and regulatory standards worldwide. Learn more about SGS’s Softlines Services. [www.sgs.com/softlines]
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full French Decree 2019-1007 Harmonizes Regulatory Provisions Related to Certain Non-Food Product Safety SafeGuardS. [www.sgs.com/en/news/2019/11/safeguards-15619-french-decree-2019-1007-harmonizes-provisions-related-to-non-food-product-safety-]
Subscribe here, www.sgs.com/subscribesg, to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Softline Technical Expert
Tel: +33 1 41 24 87 10
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 97,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.