( PR4US.com | Press Release | 2019-08-12 14:47:38 )
On July 16, 2021, the European Union (EU) Regulation (EU) 2019/1020 will come into force. The aim is to improve market surveillance and compliance with product regulations. It applies to all products subject to EU harmonized Regulations indicated in Annex I. A Union Product Compliance Network (UPCN) will be set up by January 1, 2021.
For online sales, the regulation outlines the following requirements:
• Sales online are subject to surveillance when an economic operator directs its activities to a Member State market by any means
• Non-EU vendors are required to have a representative in the EU
• The fulfillment service provider becomes responsible when there is no representative in the EU (a fulfillment service provider is a person or company offering at least two of the following services: warehousing, packaging, addressing and dispatching, without having ownership of the products involved; courier and postal companies are specifically excluded).
For economic operators in the EU, the regulation states:
• An economic operator (a manufacturer, an importer, an authorized representative or a fulfillment service provider) must be established in the EU in order to:
o Ensure the availability of the conformity documentation
o Cooperate with market surveillance authorities
o Inform authorities when they have reasons to believe that a product presents a risk
In terms of Market surveillance, the regulation stipulates:
• Market surveillance national authorities are granted strengthened powers
• The tasks of market surveillance are defined and powers, like taking samples and imposing penalties, are harmonized
• Market surveillance authorities may reclaim all cost of their activities in case of non-compliant products
• A harmonized approach for surveillance at EU borders by customs and surveillance authorities
• A UPCN to be set up by January 1, 2021
Read the full text of Regulation (EU) 2019/1020.
SGS provides, as a complimentary service, information on new and updates to global regulations for consumer products. With its global network of laboratories and offices and expert local teams, SGS provides a wide range of technical testing and consultancy services for a comprehensive range of consumer products. Please do not hesitate to contact us for further information.
Subscribe to receive SGS SafeGuardS.
For the latest news, follow us now on Linkedln.
For more information, please contact:
SGS Toy Expert
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 97,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,600 offices and laboratories around the world.