( PR4US.com | Press Release | 2018-11-30 00:51:57 )
China has introduced a mandatory standard for synthetic surfaces used in school sports venues. Since November 1, 2018, the standard – GB 36246-2018 – has been compulsory for all synthetic sports surfaces used in primary and secondary schools.
Initially published in May 2018, GB 36246-2018 ‘Sports areas with synthetic surfaces for primary and middle schools’ replaces the recommended but voluntary standard GB/T 19851.11-2005 ‘Sports equipment and playground for middle school and primary school Part 11: Synthetic surfaced athletic ground’.
The standard applies to new, renovated and expanded outdoor sports venues containing synthetic surfaces for competition, training, teaching and other activities in primary and secondary schools. It defines specific requirements and includes requirements related to design, installation, physical and mechanical properties, aging resistance, hazardous substances, and odor in synthetic materials, finished products and raw materials. It also covers sampling requirements, rules for inspection and standard methods.
Limits for hazardous substances include:
• DBP, BBP and DEHP: ≤1.0 g/kg (sum of 3 phthalates)
• DNOP, DINP and DIDP: ≤1.0 g/kg (sum of 3 phthalates)
• 18 Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs):
o ≤ 50 mg/kg (sum of 18 PAHs)
o ≤ 20 mg/kg for the top 5 mm of the surface material (sum of 18 PAHs)
• Benzo [a] pyrene: ≤ 1.0 mg/kg
• Short chain chlorinated paraffins (C10-C13): ≤ 1.5 g/kg
• 3,3'-Dichloro-4,4'-diaminodiphenylmethane (MOCA): ≤1.0 g/kg
• Free toluene diisocyanate (TDI) and free hexamethylene diisocyanate (HDI): ≤ 0.2 g/kg (sum of TDI and HDI)
• Free diphenylmethane diisocyanate (MDI): ≤ 1.0 g/kg
• Soluble lead: ≤ 50 mg/kg
• Soluble cadmium: ≤ 10 mg/kg
• Soluble chromium: ≤ 10 mg/kg
• Soluble mercury: ≤ 2 mg/kg
The limits for hazardous substance emissions are:
• Total volatile organic compounds (TVOC): ≤ 5.0 mg/m²h
• Formaldehyde: ≤ 0.4 mg/m²h
• Benzene: ≤ 0.1 mg/m²h
• Toluene, xylene and ethylbenzene: ≤ 1.0 mg/m²h (sum of 3 solvents)
• Carbon disulfide: ≤ 7.0 mg/m²h
Finally, the odor level must be below or equal to 3.
SGS Sport & Leisure Services
SGS’s global network of testing facilities and comprehensive customized services will help manufacturers of sporting and leisure equipment development safe and compliant products. Their range of services include testing for regulatory compliance, performance evaluation, product certification, technical assistance and training. Learn more about SGS’s Sport & Leisure Services. [www.sgs.com/en/consumer-goods-retail/hardgoods/sport-and-leisure]
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full China Publishes Mandatory Standard for Synthetic Surfaces in School Sports Venues SafeGuardS. [www.sgs.com/en/news/2018/11/safeguards-15018-china-publishes-mandatory-standard-for-synthetic-surfaces-in-school-sports-venues]
Subscribe here, www.sgs.com/subscribesg, to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Senior Technical Manager
Tel: 86(021) 6115 2240
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 95,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,400 offices and laboratories around the world.