( PR4US.com | Press Release | 2018-06-08 12:38:13 )
Colombia’s Ministry of Health and Social Protection has published new regulations on testing and certification for toys and accessories aimed at children under fourteen years of age.
Published on March 5, 2018, Resolution 686 of 2018 repeals Resolution 3388 of 2008 on sanitary requirements for toys, their components and accessories and its amended conformity assessment requirements in Resolution 3117 of 2015.
The following elements, amongst others, are contained in the new law:
• The provisions apply to toys and accessories falling under Harmonized Tariff Schedule Codes 9503.00.10.00, 9503.00.22.00, 9503.00.28.00, 9503.00.29.00, 9503.00.30.00, 9503.00.40.00, 9503.00.91.00, 9503.00.92.00, 9503.00.93.00, 9503.00.94.00, 9503.00.95.00, 9503.00.96.00, 9503.00.99.10, 9503.00.99.90 and 9505.90.00.00
• These codes are not exclusive as product characteristics will also be considered
• The use of Norma Técnica Colombiana (NTC) standards or their acceptable equivalents (listed below) for mechanical and physical properties, flammability and migration of certain properties:
o Mechanical and Physical (NTC-EN 71-1):
o Flammability (NTC-EN 71-2):
o Migration of Certain Elements (19 soluble elements) (NTC-EN 71-3):
• Restriction of six phthalates (BBP, DBP, DOP or DEHP, DNOP, DINP and DIDP) in toys for children under three years of age
• Product certification using Schemes 1b, 4 or 5, and in accordance with NTC-ISO/IEC 17067
Stakeholders should note the restriction requirements relating to the 19 soluble elements are basically the same as Directive 2009/48/EC – the so-called European Toy Safety Directive – amended by Regulation (EU) 681/2013 (barium) and Directive 2012/7/EU (cadmium).
Resolution 686 of 2018 will become effective on March 5, 2019. Until this date, manufacturers and suppliers of toys in Colombia should ensure their products comply with the specifications and conformity assessment requirements belonging to Resolutions 3388 of 2008 and 3117 of 2015.
SGS Toy & Juvenile Product Services
SGS offers a wide range of services to ensure that products comply with relevant standards for childcare articles and children’s equipment. They provide consulting, training, product development, testing, audit and inspection services to ensure that products comply with strict regulations worldwide, demonstrating the safety and quality of juvenile products being brought to the market. Learn more about SGS’s Toy & Juvenile Product Services. [www.sgs.com/en/consumer-goods-retail/toys-and-juvenile-products/juvenile-products-and-childcare-articles]
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full Colombia Establishes New Specifications for Toys SafeGuardS. [www.sgs.com/en/news/2018/05/safeguards-07118-colombia-establishes-new-specifications-for-toys]
Subscribe here, www.sgs.com/subscribesg, to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Hing Wo Tsang Ph.D
Global Information and Innovation Manager
Tel: (+852) 2774 7420
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 95,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,400 offices and laboratories around the world.