( PR4US.com | Press Release | 2017-05-10 22:36:03 )
Beat the Streets is pleased to announce that it will be featuring matches between highly accomplished student-athletes from New York City and visitors from Philadelphia and Providence, R.I., at its annual benefit on Wednesday, May 17 in Times Square. The gala is Beat the Streets’ annual fundraiser that helps provide wrestling equipment and opportunities to 3,000 kids across the five boroughs every year. The youth match-ups will be held starting at 3 p.m., prior to the NYC PSAL Girls Dual Meet Championships and world-class wrestling matches between members of Team USA and Team Japan.
The NYC Beat the Streets boys team members include:
· Wilver Mariano-Peralta, 8th grade, M.S. 129, Bronx, 112 lbs. (2017 City Champion, 2017 Regional Champion, 2017 NY State Finalist)
· Mitchell Barcus, 8th grade, Eagle Academy, Bronx, 115 lbs. (2017 third at Cities, 2017 NY State Finalist)
· Edwin Kent, 8th grade, East Harlem, 125 lbs. (2017 City Champion)
· Daniel Bogie, 11th grade, Eagle Academy, Bronx, 145 lbs. (2017 6th place at NY State Championships)
· Simon Chee, 12th grade, Benjamin Cardozo, Queens, 195 lbs., (2017 NY State Finalist, wrestling at Wesleyan next year)
· Brandon Nunez, 12th grade, John Bowne, Queens, 99 lbs. (two-time NY State placewinner, first Division I NY State Champion from PSAL, wrestling at Rhode Island College next year)
FloWrestling will be live streaming the entire event at www.flowrestling.org.
Additionally, there will be a special match between Austin DeSanto (Exeter HS), the Pennsylvania state champion, and four-time undefeated Oklahoma state champion Daton Fix (Sand Springs HS/committed to Oklahoma State Univ.) Notably, DeSanto denied superstar Spencer Lee his fourth straight state title after losing to Lee in the state finals in 2016. Fix was a 2016 Junior World bronze medalist for the USA. He also wrestled in the 2016 Beat the Streets United in the Square match, defeating Junior star Kheyrollah Ghahramani of Iran, 14-3 in Times Square. Additionally, Fix was the prestigious 2017 Dave Schultz High School Excellence Award winner from the National Wrestling Hall of Fame. There will be a special scoring system in place for this match, with the first to score five takedowns earning the win.
There will also be three girls matches, with the BTS wrestlers and opponents to be announced.
The boys’ opponents are as follows:
· Jay Copeland, 8th grade, Belmont Charter, Philadelphia, 112 lbs.
· Talib Copeland, 8th grade, Belmont Charter, Philadelphia, 115 lbs.
· Obed Yancor, 8th grade, Esek Hopkins Middle School, Providence, R.I., 125 lbs.
· Ousmane Diarra, 12th grade, Central HS, Philadelphia, 145 lbs.
· Lee Miles, 12th grade, South Philadelphia HS, 195 lbs.
· Jonathan Prata, Titan Mercury, 99 lbs.
The United States men’s freestyle team is highlighted by 2016 Olympic champion Kyle Snyder (Woodbine, Md./Titan Mercury WC) at 96 kg/213 lbs, 2012 Olympic champion Jordan Burroughs (Lincoln, Neb./Sunkist Kids/Nebraska Wrestling TC) at 74 kg/163 lbs. and 2016 World champion Logan Stieber (Columbus, Ohio/Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC), at 61 kg/134 lbs. On the women’s side, 2016 Olympic gold medalist Helen Maroulis (Rockville, Md./Sunkist Kids) headlines the roster taking on Japan.
2017 BEAT THE STREETS BENEFIT
At New York, May 17
3 p.m. (ET) – Beat the Streets youth exhibition matches
4:45 p.m. (ET) – NYC PSAL Girls Dual Meet Championships
6 p.m. (ET) – Team USA vs. Team Japan, preceded by special match between Austin DeSanto and Daton Fix
Announced Team USA Roster
57 kg/125.5 lbs. – Tony Ramos (Chapel Hill, N.C./Sunkist Kids/Tarheel WC)
61 kg/134 lbs. – Logan Stieber (Columbus, Ohio/Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC)
65 kg/143 lbs. – Zain Retherford (Benton, Pa./Nittany Lion WC)
70 kg/154 lbs. – James Green (Titan Mercury WC/Nebraska Wrestling TC)
74 kg/163 lbs. – Jordan Burroughs (Sunkist Kids/Nebraska Wrestling TC)
86 kg/189 lbs. – David Taylor (State College Pa./Titan Mercury WC/Nittany Lion WC)
97 kg/213 lbs. – Kyle Snyder (Woodbine, Md./Titan Mercury WC/Ohio RTC)
125 kg/275 lbs. – Nick Gwiazdowski (Raleigh, N.C/Titan Mercury WC/Wolfpack RTC)
48 kg/105.5 lbs. - Victoria Anthony (Tempe, Ariz./Sunkist Kids)
58 kg/128 lbs. - Helen Maroulis (New York, N.Y./Sunkist Kids/NYC RTC)
69 kg/152 lbs. - Tamyra Mensah (Katy, Texas/Titan Mercury WC)
Team Japan Roster
57 kg/125.5 lbs. - Rinya Nakamura
61 kg/134 lbs. - Shingo Arimoto
65 kg/143 lbs. - Daichi Takatani
70 kg/154 lbs. - Nobuyoshi Takojima
74 kg/163 lbs. - Sohsuke Takatani
86 kg/189 lbs. - Takahiro Murayama
97 kg/213 lbs. - Koki Yamamoto
125 kg/275 lbs. – Katsutoshi Kanazawa
48 kg/105.5 lbs. - Yuki Irie
58 kg/128 lbs. - Yuzuru Kumano
69 kg/152 lbs. - Miwa Morikawa
Team Leader - Kosei Akaishi
Freestyle Coach - Shinichi Yumoto
Women’s Coach - Ryo Kanehama
Special Challenge Match – Jordan Oliver (Tempe, Ariz./Sunkist Kids) vs. Frank Chamizo (Italy)