( PR4US.com | Press Release | 2017-03-10 13:44:06 )
The Vietnam Ministry of Industry and Trade (MOIT) has drafted a new national technical regulation on azo dye and formaldehyde content in textile products offered for sale on the Vietnamese market. The proposed new rule follows the revocation of Circular No. 37/2015/TT-BCT in November 2016.
The new draft Circular specifies limits and inspections methods for formaldehyde and aromatic amines, derived from azo colorants, in textile products. It applies to all textile manufacturers and importers working in the Vietnamese market.
The new draft regulation proposes a single maximum limit of content of 30 mg/kg for each aromatic amine, in any textile product, and three different maximum limits of content for formaldehyde, dependent upon the type of textile product. These are:
• Textile products for children under 36 months of age – 30mg/kg
• Textile products in direct skin contact – 75mg/kg
• Textile products without direct skin contact – 300mg/kg
Before products can be placed on the market, textile products must be assessed and certified for standard conformity according to method 5 or method 7 of Circular No.28/2012/TT-BKHCN.
• Method 5: Testing on representative sample and factory audit
• Method 7: Testing for lot of product
Once a product has the standard conformity stamp, it can be placed on the market.
The proposed Circular – Limits of Content of Formaldehyde and Aromatic Amines Derived from Azo Colorants in Textile Products – also defines the technical criteria and testing methods required before a product can receive certification for standard conformity.
For formaldehyde content in textile products, the following methods are used:
• TCVN 7421-1:2013, Textiles - Determination of formaldehyde - Part 1: Free and hydrolyzed formaldehyde (water extraction method)
• ISO 14184-1:2011, Textiles - Determination of formaldehyde - Part 1: Free and hydrolyzed formaldehyde (water extraction method)
For the content of aromatic amines derived from azo colorants on textile products, the following testing methods are used:
• ISO 24362-1:2014, Textiles - Methods for determination of certain aromatic amines derived from azo colorants - Part 1: Detection of the use of certain azo colorants accessible with and without extracting the fibers and ISO 24362-3:2014, Textiles - Methods for determination of certain aromatic amines derived from azo colorants - Part 3: Detection of the use of certain azo colorants, which may release 4-aminoazobenzene
• EN 14362-1:2012, Textiles - Methods for determination of certain aromatic amines derived from azo colorants - Part 1: Detection of the use of certain azo colorants accessible with and without extracting the fibers and EN 14362-3:2012, Textiles - Methods for determination of certain aromatic amines derived from azo colorants - Part 3: Detection of the use of certain azo colorants, which may release 4-aminoazobenzene
The proposed Circular states that sampling of textile products will be determined by the Probability and Statistics method.
Inspections will be carried out by appointed inspecting bodies, authorized by the Minister of Trade and Industry.
SGS Softlines Services
With a global network of over 40 laboratories, SGS’s state-of-the-art testing facilities offer a comprehensive range of physical, chemical and functional testing services for components, materials and finished products. We help companies ensure quality, performance and compliance with international, industrial and regulatory standards around the world. Learn more about SGS’s Softlines Services (www.sgs.com/softlines)
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full Proposed Vietnam National Technical Regulation on Azo and Formaldehyde in Textile Products SafeGuardS. (www.sgs.com/en/news/2017/02/safeguards-03017-proposed-vietnam-national-technical-regulation-on-azo-and-formaldehyde)
Subscribe here, www.sgs.com/subscribesg, to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Director Technical Support, Softlines
Tel: +1 973 461 7919
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 90,000 employees, SGS operates a network of over 2,000 offices and laboratories around the world.