( PR4US.com | Press Release | 2023-03-13 12:39:21 )
SGS, the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company, has published SafeGuardS 024.23 looking at new Ukrainian regulations on the migration of lead and cadmium from food contact ceramics.
Ministry of Health Order No. 2373 of December 29, 2022 – ‘On approval of the requirements for ceramic products intended for contact with food’ – was issued in January 2023. It implements European Directive 84/500/EEC on food contact ceramics and contains several important provisions:
• Restricts the migration of lead and cadmium from three categories of food contact ceramics
• Details the criteria for satisfying the requirements if the migration of lead and cadmium in a food contact ceramic article does not exceed the quantities by more than 50%
• Details the rules and conditions for determining the migration of lead and cadmium, including their methods of analysis
The three categories of food contact ceramic are:
• Category 1: articles which cannot be filled, and articles which can be filled, the internal depth of which, measured from the lowest point to the horizontal plane passing through the upper rim, does not exceed 25 mm
• Category 2: all other articles which can be filled
• Category 3: cooking ware; packaging and storage vessels having a capacity of more than three liters
SGS has published SafeGuardS 024.23 to give stakeholders a better understanding of the Order’s provisions. This includes a table detailing the requirements for lead and cadmium in relation to each of the three categories.
This is just the latest in a number of pieces of legislation Ukraine has introduced to regulate food contact materials. SafeGuardS 024.23 also gives an overview of the other pieces of legislation.
Important dates for Order No. 2373:
• February 2, 2023 – date of entry into force
• November 19, 2025 – the day Law No. 2718-IX of November 3, 2022 ‘On materials and articles intended to come into contact with food’ becomes applicable
SGS Food Contact Material Services
SGS’s technical experts have extensive experience of testing materials and articles in contact with food. They can ensure that your products meet the appropriate regulations for food contact materials and pave the way for compliance. SGS offers the full range of testing, including migration tests, along with expert advice on emerging regulations, compliance issues and documentation review. In the end, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Learn more about SGS’s Food Contact Material Services. [http://www.sgs.com/fcm]
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full Ukraine Regulates Food Contact Ceramics SafeGuardS. [www.sgs.com/en/news/2023/02/safeguards-2423-ukraine-regulates-food-contact-ceramics]
Subscribe here, www.sgs.com/subscribesg, to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Dr. HingWo Tsang
Global Information and Innovation Manager
Tel: (+852) 2774 7420
We are SGS – the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for sustainability, quality and integrity. Our 97,000 employees operate a network of 2,650 offices and laboratories, working together to enable a better, safer and more interconnected world.