( PR4US.com | Press Release | 2020-12-05 11:26:20 )
European Union (EU) amends Annexes II and III of Regulation (EC) No 1223/2009 on cosmetic products to update its requirements in relation to hair and eyelash dyes.
On November 12, 2020, the European Commission published Regulation (EU) 2020/1683 after considering opinions SCCS/1598/18, SCCS/1497/12 and SCCS/1400/11 of the Scientific Committee on Consumer Safety (SCCS). Due to the potential for genotoxic and gene mutation, the following substances have been banned from use in hair and eyelash dye products:
• 2-[(4-Amino-2-nitrophenyl)-amino]-benzoic acid
Stakeholders should be aware of the following dates:
• September 3, 2021 – hair and eyelash dye products containing these three substances can no longer be placed onto the market in the EU
• June 3, 2022 – hair and eyelash dye products containing these three substances can no longer be made available in the EU
Stakeholders should also be aware that 2-Methoxymethyl-p-Phenylenediamine and its sulfate, currently restricted under entry 262 of Annex III in Regulation (EC) 1223/2009, can be used safely in eyelash coloring products following opinion SCCS/1603/18.
The European Commission has also restricted the use of the following six substances, with appropriate maximum concentrations, for use in hair dye products as new entries in Annex III of Regulation (EC) 1223/2009:
1. 4-(3-aminopyrazolo[1,5-A]pyridin-2-yl)-1,1- dimethylpiperazin- 1-ium chloride hydrochloride
2. 1-(3-((4-Aminophenyl)amino)propyl)-3-methyl-1H- imidazol-3-ium chloride hydrochloride
3. Di-[2-[(E)-2-[4-[bis (2-hydroxyethyl) aminophenyl] vinyl]pyridin-1- ium]-ethyl]disulphide dimethanesulfonate
4. Sodium 4-[(2- hydroxy-1- naphthyl)azo]benzene sulfonate
5. Phenol, 4,4'- (4,5,6,7-tetrabromo-1,1-dioxido-3H-2,1-benzoxathiol-3-ylidene)bis[2,6- dibromo-
6. Indigofera tinctoria, dried and pulverized leaves of Indigofera tinctoria L
To fully understand the provisions and restrictions, read our original SafeGuard 169/20.
SGS Cosmetics & Personal Care Testing Services
SGS provides testing, inspection, auditing and consulting services to manufacturers, distributors, and importers to ensure a high level of product quality in every area. A global network of state-of-the-art laboratories offer custom-made solutions for chemical, biophysical, microbiological, stability and biological aspects. Learn more about SGS’s Cosmetics & Personal Care Testing Services. (www.sgs.com/en/consumer-goods-retail/cosmetics-personal-care-and-household/cosmetics-and-personal-care/testing)
In addition, SGS Digicomply is an advanced regulatory compliance management platform that helps manufacturers stay informed on regulatory and legislative changes. [www.digicomply.com/cosmetic-personal-care-and-household]
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full European Commission Changes Hair and Eyelash Dye Requirements SafeGuardS. [www.sgs.com/en/news/2020/11/safeguards-16920-european-commission-changes-hair-and-eyelash-dye-requirements]
Subscribe here, www.sgs.com/subscribesg, to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Queenie Ho-yan TSE
Assistant Technical Service Manager
Tel: +852 2765 3672
SGS is the world’s leading inspection, verification, testing and certification company. SGS is recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. With more than 89,000